Thursday, October 24, 2013

Microfinance Loans: A Risky Business?

By Tanner Schoenike

            Everyone knows the age-old concept of a loan, someone (usually a bank) will give somebody else some money, in order to buy something, or invest in something that will increase their income or enjoyment over the long run, and the banks will do this because of interest rates, the concept that the longer the money takes to repay, the more that the person will end up having to repay. One of these normal loans could have an interest rate anywhere from around 2% to upwards of 6% or 7% compounded interest, per year. 1
            But, other than these normal, everyday loans, comes the idea of microfinance loans, incredibly small loans, with incredibly high interest rates. These loans are used primarily in poorer countries, like those in Africa or the Middle East. And, the purpose of these can be used for small investments (by our standards) to buy something like an ox, a pig, a cart, a solar panel, or a seed press. The idea is very similar to that of marginal utility, the first of a product will provide a lot of extra utility to a person; and for a very poor person, a single ox could provide milk, the ability to plow a field, and the ability to pull a cart of goods to market. 2
            The essential idea is that for very poor people, a small loan could potentially drastically increase their income. But, the idea of microloans requires the bank to spread out a fair amount of money over a lot of people, and the more people they service, the harder it is to keep track of the people, the harder it is to collect debts and such. And, by the fact that they are very poor, if they buy an ox with a loan in order to increase their income, but then the ox dies a week after they get it; they are left with no way to pay back the loan, so it becomes a very risky business for bankers. So, in order to compensate for the risks they take, they drastically increase the interest rates on loans, as high as 70% interest per year, and with an average interest rate of above 30%.3















           However solid this thought train works in concept, the truth remains quite different, as through several studies, it has been shown that microloans are repaid in much higher rates, and much more consistently than loans in the US, despite the higher interest rates. The microloans issued from one of the largest microcredit institutions, Grameen Bank, were examined for their delinquency rates – what is essentially the rate at which the loans are repaid properly – and found to be anywhere from less than 1% delinquency to nearly 3.5% delinquency, while the US loans – ranging in areas from residential to credit cards to agricultural loans – were found to have delinquency rates as low as 1%, but also having rates over 10%. 45
            The consistency with which the rates are repaid in poorer countries, by poorer people is still far superior to that of people in the US; even though they have much higher interest rates. So, the reasoning for which microloans are compounding interest at a much higher rate is not sound, in fact, the reasoning should point to higher interest rates for normal, US-bound loans. Microcredit is not a risky business; it is a safer business than US credit.



9 comments:

  1. Tyler,

    Very informative and startling information included in your blog post! Very cleanly written. However, why wait until the last sentence of your post to state your thesis? In comparison to poor borrowers in the third world, where does this put the typical North American borrower? Why do you think Americans default more often on their loans than do poor borrowers in less developed countries?

    FYI: I clicked on one of your links and found this very informative video clip (2 min.) on your topic. It does a good job describing microfinance.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bpSNM625LFU

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of this concept before so it was really great to be able to be enlightened on this topic. I find it fascinating how these people from poorer backgrounds are being able to pay back these loans, it makes a person wonder if it doesn't have anything to do with these peoples work ethic verses our. I wish that the reason as to why this microcredit worked better than our system was known because I think it would be really interesting. This was a really nice piece that taught about an entirely new concept... Nice Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is important to point out that micro-finance loans often have a higher success rate than the American loan system. The benefits of a universal micro-finance loan system far outweigh the negative consequences. Countries like Thailand and Algeria have experienced success with their implemented systems. Part of their success is the involvement of their governments regulating the networks. Government involvement is an important aspect to consider when debating the possibilities of a universal micro-finance loan system. It creates a ceiling for the amount these firms can charge for interest, benefiting the recipients of such loans. This system has proved incredibly beneficial for the creation of small businesses and betterment of living for the poor universally. Therefore the current working systems in countries such as Thailand and Algeria should be looked toward as positive examples and a universal system should be created.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tanner, this is quite a fascinating piece. I know what loans were before reading this, but you took it to a whole other level. I was unaware that with these small loans people can actually make a profit off them. Where in most cases the bank is the one who's suppose to make the profit. I thought you also made a good point, talking about how with loaning small loans out to so many people that it becomes hard to keep track of things. That's why's there's business classes and accountants, and finance people that make a lot of money for what they do. To your defense however if they have to hire more of these people who require big incomes for their work, they will be facing a problem. All in great piece, definitely a piece that makes you ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am Mrs.Sandra Bents from Germany, God has bless me with two kids and a loving husband, I promise to share this Testimony because of God favor in my life,2months ago I was in desperate need of money so I thought of having a loan then I ran into wrong hands who claimed to be a loan lender not knowing he was a scam. he collected 2,000USD from me and refuse to email me since. then I was confuse, but God came to my rescue, one faithful day I went to Court after the Case of my friend I share idea with a friend and she introduce me to DR PURVA PIUS LOAN COMPANY, she said she was given 50,000USD by Dr Purva Pius, THE MANAGING DIRECTOR OF DR PURVA PIUS LOAN COMPANY . so I collected his email Address ,he told me the roles and regulation and I followed, then after processing of the Documents, he gave me my loan of 30,000POUNDS .you can contact him on via email : (urgentloan22@gmail.com) I am sure he will help you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Anita. I live in UK London and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 U.S. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Anita, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com)Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simple trick to cut your electric bill by 75%:

    Want to know how to easily produce all of the renewable energy you could ever want right at home?

    And you’ll be able to make your home totally immune from power failures, blackouts, and energy grid failures
    so even if everyone else in your area (or even the whole country) loses power you won’t.

    OUR GUIDE: DIY HOME ENERGY

    ReplyDelete
  8. Testimony of financial breakthrough from GOD through the help of Funding Circle Loan INC. (fundingloanplc@yahoo.com OR Call/Text +14067326622)...

    Hi I'am Evelyn Russell resident at 808 NE 19th St Oklahoma City, I am a single mother blessed with 2 daughters. For a while now I have been searching for a genuine loan lender who could help me with a loan as I no longer have a job, all I got were hoodlums who made me trust them and at the end they took my money without giving me any loan, my hope was lost, I got confused and frustrated, it became difficult for my family to feed with a good meal, I never wanted to have anything to do with any loan lending companies on the internet again. Not until I met a Godsent loan lender that changed my life and that of my family Through the help of a fellowship member "a lender with the fear of God in him Mr JASON RAYMOND, he was the man God sent to elevate my family from suffering. At first I thought it wasn’t going to be possible due to my previous experience until I received my loan worth $135,000.00 USD in less then 24hours. So my advise to anyone out there genuinely in need of a loan is to contact Funding Circle Loan INC through this official email:- fundingloanplc@yahoo.com OR Call/Text +14067326622 and be financial lifted.


    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Day, Are you in need of a loan? such as loan to pay off your dept, to pay your rent and solve financial problems, here is an opportunity for you, Flora offer home loans, business loans, and bad credit loans, commercial loans, start-up- working capital loans, construction loans, auto loans, hotel loans, xmas loan e.t.c of 3% interest rates per annual repaid, Flora loan takes a maximum of {2} working days,to get to all approved customers across the word contact us at (floralenders001@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...